Before I lost weight, I was far from living anything close to a fitness lifestyle. I ate horribly and I was lazy. Hardly any of my friends were working out either. It was too easy to flake on workouts when the people surrounding me were the same way.
Studies have shown that the company you keep can affect your lifestyle. Fit people have fit friends while out of shape people have sedentary friends.
I'm definitely not saying to get new friends if you want to be healthy! What I am suggesting, is to bring your fitness and nutrition plans in to your social group.Having friends and family with similar goals is a helpful technique to achieve results. A workout partner or like minded support network is motivating. You can share the ups and downs of your journey as well as share tips and information.
Suggestions to get your friends and family in to a fitness lifestyle:
- If your group likes to eat dinners out, suggest a healthy restaurant for a change of pace. It just may become a group favourite and sure beats french fries and hamburgers!
- If your group regularly goes to bars, suggest going to the gym once in a while. After a workout, you could have a protein shake or even a latte, instead of alcohol. Sharing a drink of any kind is still social. Plus you will all feel great after a tough workout. Instead of horrible the next day!
- If your social circle is in the habit of lounging around on weekends, organize an outdoor activity like cycling, rollerblading or swimming.
- Always suggest walking. Want to go to the mall? Let's walk! Want to go see a movie? Let's walk! Walking is an excellent way to get in shape. You can still hold a conversation and get some fresh air too.
- Hire a personal trainer and work out together. Not only is it motivating but you also get a discount for pairs and small groups.
- When planning a vacation suggest a hiking, canoeing or cycling trip. Sitting on the beach drinking can be fun, but it's much better to come back from a trip in better shape than when you left!
- Bring your friends out to try classes with you. Yoga, spinning and boxing are fun activities that you could suggest. A lot of gyms will give you a free pass to bring a friend too!
- Challenge your friends to a competition. See who can lose X amount of weight first. OR see who can accumulate 10 miles of running first. Sometimes a friendly bet can be very motivating!
Be a good influence and get your friends fit!